Saturday, November 27, 2010

We're not nudists, yet. A Challenge for Jill

One of the main arguments I have with Karl is over clothing. He thinks I spend too much, I disagree. So I started thinking about what I do spend on clothes. Each month, I buy clothes for one of the children. The plan is I spend 50 dollars on that child, plus a pair of shoes (if they ask). Now with Caleb, it is simple. I buy a lot of gently used shirts (polos, T's, or sweatshirts) depending on the season from eBay. I usually get him some jeans from eBay or from a resale shop in town. He has two pair of shoes and never asks for more. He also has 12 pair of boxers (I stocked up because he never brings his clothes to the laundry room). I throw all the white sweatsocks in one bag, and people take them as they need them. Yes, I have been known to wear white sweatsocks to work. It looks bad, but it feels oh, so good.

Now with the girls, it is a little more challenging. Fifty dollars every three months doesn't go very far in a girl's wardrobe. Another problem is, the girls like to go to the mall to spend their money. So, in addition to what they buy, I usually end up spending an extra $50 on something, and lunch. Not frugal. Some mall clothes are good buys (Aeropostale frequently has nice sales on their stuff, though it frequently looks like an aeropostale monster threw up ABC soup all over the clothing (that magically spelled out AERO). But Taryn has a soft spot for Forever 21, where the clothes are so cute and trendy, and ultimately often unwearable for everyday comfort. This past month, though, Smart Tierney chose to get clothes from KMart's Selena Gomez line. I love Tierney, she doesn't have an elitist bone in her body. She chose a cute pullover top and a new wallet, I threw in a matching scarf. Since the top was oatmeal colored, she needed something colorful near her face. Then we went to Hot topic (at the mall) wear she purchased a t-shirt (I think). Of course, the power of the mall took over, and on a whim, we got her ears pierced (she was always afraid before). That added over 35 to the budget, since Claire's ear piercing isn't cheap. I bought her a pair of gently used pink converse hightops off eBay, and her month is through.
My clothing is separate from the girls, . The problem is, I feel like I spend so much and get so little. I  think the problems are 1) I am overweight  and I just feel gross no matter what I wear and 2) I am messy and stain clothes quickly.
So I have been thinking about making a challenge for myself. I am thinking about trying (for 6 months at least) to only purchased preowned items. Of course, it is much more fun selecting something brand new. But should clothes buying be linked to that emotional high? Especially when I tend to spend too much? It's okay to have fun, I just need it to be a little cheaper. I think I will, by golly. It will be fun. And who'll notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment