Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Baffled on Health Care Reform

Call me crazy, but wasn't the whole idea of health care reform to make it cheaper and easier to get health insurance?
I wanted to look for lower premiums for Liam. He doesn't qualify for shortterm care until he is two, and that can only be renewed for up to 36 months (I am unsure if you can get another plan from a different company after that), and without a parent he cannot go onto another plan. Luckily I got him on last year before all the changes took effect. But now, I am stuck with Aetna, and the 159 dollar premiums for a healthy kid are driving me crazy.
Taryn is in temporary for six month, because you have to be insured to be in cheerleading, and hopefully I will be able to renew it for awhile.
Work insurance is something like 300 for one kid or 650 for my whole family (but I don't think I can add them now that I have working there for so long). I only take home 1800 a month.

I am just so pissed off. How is it better if healthy kids can't get covered at an affordable rate?

2 comments:

  1. I guess affordable is relative. In my opinion 15% of takehome pay should cover all insurance expenses. They need to work that out. And 650 a month wouldn't be a big deal, if my husband was making 3000 a month. But this is ridiculous. THIS is why people stay below the poverty level. You take on more reponsibility, but with the same overall spending. Course, summers off are nice.
    And I guess I could have become an accountant. I just need to hold on I guess until the older ones are out of the house. Expenses should ease. Except I will probably make too much for them to qualify for help with college. I guess they can live on their own for a year, and wait to finish college. Shoulda been an accountant and just handled the long hours. I am good with numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But talking about such things may negate the classy part of the blog. LOL. So smiles and upbeatness. It is only money. We are not going to starve. I like my house, rental though it is. So I need to show more gratitude. I guess it's hard to count your blessings and "fight the good fight" internally.

    ReplyDelete