Monday, June 6, 2011

Countdown to cheap?

I like having kids. I like the meaning they bring to life, and seeing the world through their fresh eyes (until they become jaded nine year olds, thanks to cable tv). All my adult life, I stressed how cheap and easy kids can be. Cloth diapers, breastfeeding, yards sales, etc. Having babies is cheap (I guess it helped that my ex was in the military which made for cheap births).
The past year has changed my opinion. First, Liam was born, which ended up costing $5000, because of the way the hospital bill was made up, out of pocket. Then the insurance for a baby-just in case. Then my fiance hates cloth diapers, and we can't afford for me to stay home, so we had to buy formula to supplement during the day. I abhor breast pumps. It's so boring to sit there.
Then Taryn had to have talent. So we shell out for voice lessons and cheerleading lessons, and wouldn't you know? She made the team. Another $380, and she doesn't even get to keep the uniforms.
On top of everything, I now have two teenagers and one near teenager. Do you know how many calories teenagers need in a day? They eat everything. And they are in public schools, so they need a somewhat large wardrobe. Taryn is the only brand-conscious one, but it hurts. I say no as much as possible. But I know how it feels to be the kid with the knockoff brand. It hurts, especially when you are a self-conscious teenager, and feel like everyone is judging (and they are. Really). Tierney has yet to find a job to help pay her expenses.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my kids for any amount of cash. But once they lose the innocent cuteness, you are left with R&B smut singing (thanks 96.5), food-eating, young adults, who cost a lot and still try to sneak out of doing chores by disappearing into their bedrooms under a pile of clothing, dishes, and stuff. I understand what Bill Cosby was joking about The Cosby Show, now. I know now why people say they can't wait until they grow up.

Thank goodness I am too poor to pay for their college. But there is probably some hidden cost of college kids I don't yet know about.

Guess I will go stare at the not-really-innocent faces, while they beg to go "do something".

No comments:

Post a Comment