Monday, April 18, 2011

What to do with sour milk

I had about a 1/4 gallon of milk that was getting old, which led me to look up ways to use sour milk.
Although my milk wasn't quite sour, it was old enough that I didn't want to drink it straight.

Just use a search engine, and you will find several different ways to use sour milk (not super-spoiled milk).

I chose to make some cheese. First heat the milk to boiling, then start slowly adding vinegar. As soon as it starts to "curd up" turn the stove off and keep stirring. I then poured off the liquid and let the cheese drain in some cheesecloth (hung  on a large spoon over a pitcher). The recipe said to then flatten all the juices off with a heavy pan or book, but I choose to just salt it and eat it. The texture and flavor was something like tofu. It would be good herbed up in a salad I think, or used as meat in a stirfry. Liam and I ate it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment